There has been a lot of misinformation about the effects of silicone products on natural, dyed and processed hair. You have probably heard about the buildup that may be associated with its use. It is safe to say that with every hair product, you will have some residue buildup. While silicone products cause some accumulation, the pros outweigh the cons, especially in comparison to some other spritz products, conditioners or styling lotions. Some of these contain ethanol that can cause even more residue on your hair. Below are some important facts about the ingredients in silicone-based products.
Derivatives of Silicone Used in Hair Care
Cyclomethicone is one of the most common. It easily evaporates upon application and causes absolutely no buildup. In fact, the result is a smoother and silkier feel to the hair shaft. It is commonly found in leave-in conditioners.
Dimethicone Copolyol is usually found in conditioning shampoos. It is lightweight and water-soluble. The use of this type of product results in little buildup.
Amodimethicone provides an extra conditioner to the hair for daily maintenance. Because a lot of hairstyles have been chemically modified, it coats hair better and gives hair a sustainable healthy look. Use this product if you want to straighten thick hair.
Found mostly in serums, Dimethicone is water-insoluble and is considered silicone oil. It gives hair a noticeable sheen and conditioning. If you have fine hair, you will benefit from this serum, which adds volume.
The Advantages of Silicone in Hair Products
While often defamed by uninformed sources, silicone is one of the most active ingredients in hair care products. It provides excellent coverage to the hair, as well as:
- Reduces the permeability of hair, which results in less humidity absorption. For this reason, it is an excellent product for straightening and smoothing out hair.
- Reduces the loss of moisture.
- Serves as an excellent conditioner.
- Lubricates the hair surface to make it feel smooth and less tangled and increases the ability to comb through easily.
- Protects the hair shaft.
- Provides an anti-frizz solution, making the hair easier to control and style.
- Forms a protective barrier on each hair strand to minimize heat damage from curling irons and blow dryers.
- Provides UV protection.
- Turns dull hair into softer, glossier hair.
- Is safe for natural and processed hair.
- Disguises hair that is already damaged.
What to Do about Silicone Buildup
If you experience any type of buildup using silicone hair products, the solution is to wash your hair thoroughly. You don’t have to worry about damage control; silicone products are safe to use. If you are particularly concerned, choose the lighter-weight silicone products, such as cyclomethicone and dimethicone copolyol.
If you are looking for a product that professionally coats hair strands and transforms them to look healthier, smoother and shinier with less frizz, you should consider using silicone-based products. For an excellent cleansing shampoo to remove product buildup in your hair, RemySoft Pro Haircare is a safe, simple and sulfate-free formula. It smoothes, detangles and protects with the beautiful, lasting benefits of silicone.