Hair extensions have become a popular trend for both celebrities and anyone else looking for a way to enhance their hair. These extensions are often made from human hair, which gives them the natural look most people want. Unfortunately, if you don’t use them properly, you could find your valuable extensions don’t last as long as they should.
What You Should Do
If you want your hair extensions to last for a long time, it is important to take proper care of them. In addition to the right care for the extensions themselves, it is necessary to follow these tips to improve your experience.
- Consult the Professionals – If you are considering long-term extensions made from human hair, make sure the stylist you choose has experience with installing extensions.
- Take Care in Styling – Be careful when you are styling your hair extensions. Throwing your hair into a style without thinking about your extensions can expose the ends, creating an undesirable effect.
- Sleep on a Silk Pillowcase – The hair in your extensions can easily become knotted, creating difficulty in brushing out your hair. Sleeping on a silk pillowcase prevents pulling and tangles.
- Use the Right Hair Care Products – Shampoos and brushes that work fine for your natural hair may not be suitable for hair extensions. Choose a boar bristle brush and sulfate-free shampoo for the best results.
- Consider Human Hair Extensions – Genuine human hair, particularly remy hair, will be easier to style and create a more natural look.
- Schedule a Maintenance Appointment – Hair stylists recommend scheduling a maintenance appointment at least every six to eight weeks to keep your extensions looking natural and to check for problems.
What You Shouldn’t Do
The use of hair extensions also means there are certain tasks you should avoid to keep your hair looking beautiful and ensure your extensions last.
- Don’t Wash Your Hair Often – When you install extensions in your natural hair, you shouldn’t wash your hair on a daily basis. Instead, you may need to wait a few days before shampooing.
- Don’t Style Too Much – Many people choose hair extensions from human hair to expand on styling options. However, too many ponytails or up dos can create unnecessary strain on your natural hair, causing damage.
- Don’t Sleep with a Wet Head – Some people like to wash their hair at night and then style and go in the morning. If you are wearing extensions, sleeping with a wet head of hair is not recommended.
- Don’t Wash without Brushing – Shampooing tangled extensions can cause extensive damage, reducing the lifespan of your hair enhancements. Always brush your hair thoroughly before washing.
Long-term extensions are meant to last for a long time. Taking good care of your hair extensions, whether they are made from human hair or synthetic fibers, will ensure they do.
If you have natural hair extensions and need a quality shampoo and conditioner for proper care, contact us. The RemySoft products have been developed with extensions in mind.